Saving Animals & Helping Communities
Founded by Lillian Courtney in 2014, Berkeley’s Place was named after her dog, Berkeley. Berkeley was a rescue dog that defied all odds after he was was in an accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down.
When Berkeley left this world, Lillian decided she wanted to make a difference for animals and put a call out in her local community for gently used kennels, leashes, collars, and blankets. She was shocked and left speechless at the communities response! Lillian had managed to collect 12 spreadsheet pages worth of items to donate to ten local rescues.
Realizing the immense need for supplies and food for rescues was great, Lillian formed Berkeley’s Place – as a tribute to dear Berkeley and as a way to give back to vulnerable animals and their guardians throughout Alberta.
Animals Helped Each Year
Pounds of Food Donated
What Drives Us
To provide critical food, supplies and emergency funding for vulnerable animals throughout Alberta by providing support to rescues registered with the Berkeley’s Place network.
Host an Event
Attend An Event
Save a Life
Why Support Berkeley’s Place?
Our vision is to be a leader within our community by providing educational programming and resources for rescues and public audiences. We will lead the way in the rescue industry by building long-lasting relationships with surrounding communities and rescue partners. We dream of ending suffering for all animals.
- Provide transparency to our internal and external stakeholders.
- Share information with communities within Alberta surrounding animal care and fostering.
- Strengthen our reputation as a professional organization that is dedicated to saving the lives of vulnerable animals by helping reputable rescues within the province.
- To provide a place of empathy and strength for animal foster homes and guardians who have helped a pet cross to the Rainbow Bridge through our Honouring Ceremonies.
- To work closely to support and share information with First Nations Communities both in Alberta and Inuvik, North West Territories.
- Passion: The passion to end animal suffering is our driving force.
- Continuous Learning: Berkeley’s Place is continuously learning how to develop and deliver its programming in an inclusive manner for the community.
- Leadership: Every one of our volunteers has the opportunity to become a leader in the community.
- Respect: We respect the communities in which we partner. We respect animals and animal guardians within these communities. We respect ourselves and work hard to reduce our negative footprint and increase inclusivity in our operations.
- Transparency, Honesty, and Integrity: Berkeley’s Place prides itself on remaining transparent and honest in all of its operations. The board upholds the organization and Berkeley’s Place volunteers to the highest of moral principles.
Our volunteers are dedicated, hard-working individuals who fully stand behind Berkeley’s Place and its mission to end animal suffering.
Berkeley’s Place ensures that all of our rescues have their registered non-profit or charity status number! This helps to ensure that your donations are going exactly where they need to – the animals.
Karen Doyle Veitenheimer